Contact Our Firm

Ann Arbor, Michigan Family-Based Immigration Lawyer

Family-based immigration allows U.S. citizens and green card holders to bring their close relatives to live in the United States as lawful permanent residents.

In order to bring a husband, wife, parent, child or sibling to the United States via family-based immigration, you will need to sponsor that person. It can be a complex process, help from an experienced immigration lawyer is strongly recommended.

We have been helping people with family-based immigration since 1982. Contact us to arrange confidential appointment.

How Do I Bring My Family Members to Live in the U.S.?

Whether you are a U.S. citizen or green card holder, we can help you bring your family members to live in the U.S. Most of our clients come to us with these questions:

1) Am I eligible to sponsor my relative?

U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents may be able to sponsor applicants for family-based immigration if they are the spouse, parent, child or sibling of the applicant.

2) How long does family-based immigration take?

Bringing immediate relatives – spouses. parents and children of U.S. citizens – to the U.S. is normally the fastest process, as long as your relative is not barred from the United States for another reason. There are no limits or processing backlogs for immediate relatives.

If you are a permanent resident, you may be eligible to sponsor your spouse or child. Processing times may be substantial.

If you are a U.S. citizen, you may also be able to sponsor another relative – such as a brother or sister – for family-based immigration. However, it can take much longer.

The U.S. limits the number of family-based immigration visas granted to citizens of any one country. Applicants are also sorted by their relationship to their sponsors. We can help you evaluate how long your particular application might take.

3) How much does family-based immigration cost?

Application fees are set by the USCIS. We will be happy to meet with you to analyze your individual situation and discuss our likely fee. For confidential appointment with an experienced immigration lawyer, please contact us.