Contact Our Firm

Michigan Adjustment of Status Lawyer

Applying for an Adjustment of Status

After living in the United States for a while, many people wonder whether they qualify for an “adjustment of status.” That is a process which allows them to obtain the green card while remaining in the U.S. instead of going overseas to get an immigrant visa. Whether you are interested in applying for a green card or renewing your visa, it is important to work with an experienced Michigan adjustment of status attorney who can help make sure you work your way through the immigration system correctly.

At the law office of Richard W. Pierce, P.C., we have been helping individuals with adjustment of status and other immigration matters since 1982. We have a thorough understanding of the complex immigration and naturalization laws, and we can help make sure the application is completed and filed correctly.

Common Questions With Adjustment of Status Matters

  • Am I eligible? Living in the United States for a period of time does not automatically mean you are eligible. When you contact us, we can review the specifics of your situation to determine whether you are eligible, what is delaying the process if you are not, and related issues.
  • Why can’t I adjust my status? There are a variety of reasons that a person may be ineligible to adjust his or her status. It could be something basic, such as not having lived here long enough. In other situations, if a person has been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude (CIMT), he or she may be facing deportation.
  • How long does the adjustment take once I’ve applied? Assuming you are eligible, there are a variety of things that can cause delays in the application. We help individuals understand what documentation or legal steps are required in their situations, estimated timelines associated with each, and methods to address them.

Contact an Experienced Ann Arbor Immigration Status Lawyer

Working with an experienced lawyer in the United States before your visa expires or you otherwise become ineligible for adjustment has two main benefits: First it usually takes less time and money than returning to your home country to resolve the matter. In addition, by operating from here, we often have more flexibility if the request for the status adjustment is denied. To learn more about the steps you need to take to adjust your status, contact us online or call 734-707-9396to schedule your initial consultation.